Friday, January 27, 2012

Ready, Set, Go.....Again



A number of years ago I decided that it was time to lose weight and get fit.  I started exercising regularly and eating better with the help of Weight Watchers.  I had always wanted to run, so I decided that it was time since I was trying to get healthy.  Eventually I worked my way up to running a half marathon after losing 75lbs.

Fast forward a few years.  I am now married and have a beautiful daughter AND baby weight to prove that I did truly carry her.  I'm not going to disclose how much weight I gained during the pregnancy, but let's just say it was more than what is recommended.  And now I know why there are recommendations about how much weight to gain during pregnancy.  Grrrrrrr!

I don't do New Years resolutions, so I wasn't about to jump on the get fit bandwagon on the first of January, but I was ready to do something about losing the baby weight.  A few weeks have passed since the New Years resolution hype, so I decided it was time.....again.

My new iPod arrived in the mail which was a replacement for my old one that had been recalled.  I dusted off my new running shoes which were on the top shelf in the closet and I found a couch to 5K training plan.  I was all set.

I got started and, boy oh boy, did I realize quickly just how out of shape I was.  Day one was hard.  Day two was tough, but not as hard as day one, and by day three I began to think that I could actually do this.  Then, my daughter got sick.

We're not talking the sniffles, it was full blown scary fever time.  Up all night making sure temps didn't get too high time.

It kind of goes without saying, but I will say it.  The whole experience was exhausting and I wanted nothing to do with working out.  I just wanted sleep.  Sleep, glorious, sleep!

The fever broke and my little Peanut slowly got better and slowly began sleeping better, so Mama B started sleeping better too.  This meant it was time to get back on the workout schedule.

I'm not going to lie. I was a little scared.  I had this sinking feeling that it would be like starting all over again and I didn't want to do it.  My husband gently nudged me into getting my running shoes back on again and getting on the treadmill.  I'm so thankful he did.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be and I even ran a little more than what my training schedule recommended.  Yah, I'm a rockstar!

I'm really quite excited about getting back in shape again.  It really does feel great to be running again.  And although I am not quite ready for a half marathon, I know that the small steps I am taking now will have long term benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment