Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Experts



My little Peanut is my first child and since I did not have any siblings I really did not spend a lot of time around babies.  So, I really didn't know what I was doing as a mom when she arrived.  There's no crash course on parenting and you don't get a manual when they come out.  That being said, my personality is such that if I don't know something I will find resources that will help me better understand.  Books are probably my favorite as evidenced by my extensive library.  However, being a new mom I really did not have time to read book after book.  So, the next best thing was daily and weekly emails from the various "experts" out there on parenting.

At first, I will admit, I took everything I read as Gospel truth and, consequently, almost needed medication for the anxiety that produced.  My word, these, so called experts will scare the poop out of you as a parent.  Don't do this. You must do this.  And on and on.  And, of course, if you don't heed their advice something terrible will happen to your child.  Yikes!

I no longer regard these email gurus as the be all and end all in expert advice.  My turning point came when the Peanut was about 8 months old.  Please don't fault me for taking so long remember this child is my first =)  I received an email about caring for my child's teeth.  Yes!  I needed this.  I had figured out the basics.....like now that she has teeth I should probably brush them.  It's not rocket science.  So what did the experts say?  Yup, you got it, brush your child's teeth.  Seriously!  I kinda figured that one out on my own.  However, they did offer some additional advice.

Now, if you have a small child get ready to roll on the floor laughing.  The "experts" recommended flossing your child's teeth once they have two teeth are are together, like their front two teeth.  No joke, they wanted me to floss my 8 month olds teeth.  I was ecstatic that I was actually able to brush her teeth, there was no way on this green earth that I would be able to floss my 8 month olds teeth.  Wow!  Apparently the expert that wrote that tidbit of advice does not have children because they would know that ain't happening.

So, to that expert here's my challenge I'll floss my baby's teeth once you are able to floss your cat's teeth.  It's kind of the same thing.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment