Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sovereign or Not




I once heard Ravi Zacharias talk on the sovereignty of God many years ago and something he said has stuck with me all these years.  What he said made me question my understanding of God's sovereignty and made me really contemplate if I truly believed that God was sovereign.  Since it was so long ago, I can't share word for word, but I can give you my paraphrase which essentially goes something like this...........

.........If we can say that God is sovereign when life is good and everything is going according to plan then we should also be able to say that God is sovereign when life is not so good, when we are going through uncertain and scary times.

I have come to realize that how I contemplate God's sovereignty during the tough times, depends wholly on my knowledge of and my relationship with the Lord.  I will never be able to say that God is sovereign when dealing with the challenges of life if I have not wrestled with who He is through time spent with Him, in prayer, in the study of the Word, in the fellowship of other believers.

Recently I had the opportunity to revisit my understanding of God's sovereignty in an uncertain and potentially scary time of life and once again I can say with the utmost confidence that God is truly sovereign!

1 comment:

  1. I love you, my friend! Thank you for sharing. Of course our good friend, Ravi, would have something wonderful to say about the sovereignty of God. Did you ever notice that right in the middle of sovereign is the word: REIGN? :)

    ReplyDelete