Saturday, December 10, 2011

Hey Butch!

Alright, so my daughter didn't come out with enough hair that you could braid it when she was born, like some children.  In fact, she kind of looked like a Franciscan monk, you know, she had a ring of hair from ear to ear and not a lot on top.  And even without a ton of hair she was still the most beautiful baby girl ever!  Ever!

Now, flash forward 10 months.  My daughter has considerably more hair now than when we first met, but long flowing locks they are not.  In fact, there isn't even enough hair to use a barrette and certainly not enough for a pony tail.  So, this can create a challenge for strangers.

You see, I have learned in my time as a mommy, from random strangers, that it does not mean that my child is a girl if she is wearing pink or purple or has on hearts or flowers.  Many, many people have shared this wisdom with me after they have told me what a cute little boy I have.

Now, the icing on the cake though was when we took our little peanut (that's what I call my daughter) to visit great grandma who lives in an area populated by those who have lived many years.  We're taking her out of the car and great-grandma's neighbor decides to stop over for a quick visit.  That is when he proceeded to greet my daughter with, "Hey Butch!"

I have been dealing with folks referring to my beautiful baby girl as a boy for a while now and I have developed a sense of humor about it, so I can laugh off, "Hey Butch."  I can even laugh off my own family referring to her as a he.  Yes, that has happened on several occasions, but that is another story.  So, I want to offer a little free, friendly, motherly advice.

When you meet someones precious little cherub, ask this question FIRST, "What is your little one's name?"  Then if they respond with a Samuel, Nick, Thomas, or countless other male names please feel free to say, "Hey Butch!"  However, I don't recommend that greeting for a Samantha, Nicole, or Olivia.  I'm just saying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment