Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Eating Healthy on a Budget

I really do try to feed my family healthy food and with one income that means that we have a very strict budget.  Although some think that the word budget is a dirty word, it really is a wonderful word.  Budgets create boundaries and ultimately freedom.  However, with a strict budget I find that I have to get resourceful.

As I have been learning more about eating better I have been discovering that I want to see my family eat less processed and genetically modified foods.  This means that I have been trying to buy more locally grown produce and less food that comes in boxes and cans.  And when I can fit it into the budget, I prefer to buy organic chicken and grass fed beef.

Buying locally grown produce has proven to be a bit harder than I had thought because most of what the grocery stores carry is the mass produced, genetically modified variety of produce.  That means too that Costco is out too for the same reasons.  I try to go to local Farmers Markets, but that doesn't always fit into the schedule or the budget.

So, what's a mom to do?  Get resourceful.  I found a wonderful market that sells mostly locally grown produce at great prices.  It guess this means that it is possible to eat healthy on a budget.

All the produce out of the bags after getting home from the market.

A portion of the produce washed and drying.


No comments:

Post a Comment