Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Mother's Prayers



Before my daughter was born I began the practice of praying for her and bathing her in Scripture every morning during my early morning quiet times.  I personalized Psalm 139 for her as I read it aloud to her and upon completion of the reading I would pray that she would grow to know the Lord, love the Lord with all her heart, and desire to serve Him all her days.

My daughter is now 17 months old and I still pray that same prayer for her.  My time in the Word is no longer during the early hours of the morning, but rather when my daughter naps in the afternoon and instead of Psalm 139 now I read the Proverbs to her and for her.

I know that my simple little prayer has power, but I also know there is so much more I need to be praying for my daughter, so I made something to help me stay consistent in my prayers for her.  I made a bookmark that I keep in my Bible, so that I shower her with prayer everyday in 10 specific areas.

These are the main points I pray:

1.  Prayer for Faith
2.  Prayer for Growth
3.  Prayer for Friendships
4.  Prayer for a Future
5.  Prayer for Character
6.  Prayer for Safety
7.  Prayer for Joy and Peace
8.  Prayer for Strength Against Temptation
9.  Prayer for Humility
10.  Prayer for a Heart of Service

I wish that I could say that I came up with these all on my own, but I didn't.  I found them at iMom and they are essentially Scripture.  The bookmark was my idea and it has worked quite well.  What's most important, however, is that I pray.  It truly is the most effective weapon I possess in the fight that is being waged for my daughter's soul.

(If you like to see specifically what the prayers are that I pray let me know and I will post those or mail you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment