Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Enchilada Stew



Here's my disclaimer, I'm Polish!  I'm Polish, but I love Mexican food and so does my husband.  The things we love seem to involve a lot of work and as you already know from previous posts I'm not about spending a ton of time in the kitchen when I could be playing with my daughter.  So, I get a little creative in the kitchen.  Sometimes my creativity pays off and other times not so much.  Today it paid off.

 


My husband loves enchiladas, but I really don't want to spend the time making them.  I found a good recipe for an Enchilada Casserole that, with a little tweaking, is pretty good.  Today, I decided I was going to try to make my own enchilada type meal in the slow cooker and I was going to use what I had in the pantry.



The ingredients that I used were:

1/2 lb thawed skinless chicken breast cut into 1 in cubes
pepper
season salt
1 4 oz can green chilies
1 8 oz can tomato sauce

chili powder
caynenne pepper
garlic powder
cumin seeds
poultry seasoning

1 15oz can black beans
3 corn tortillas sliced into strips

1.  I put the chicken in the slow cooker and sprinkled it with pepper and season salt.
2.  I added the green chilies and tomato sauce.
3.  I next added my seasonings.  I didn't measure anything, sorry.  I put a hefty amount of chili powder which was probably at least 4 tablespoons.  I put just a shake from the bottle of cayenne because a little goes a long way.  Next was the garlic powder, probably about 2 tablespoons.  I put one shake from the bottle of cumin.  And then two shakes from the bottle of poultry seasoning.
4.  I let that cook for about two hours on low before I added the black beans and tortilla strips.  Then I let it cook an additional two hours.

I must say that it turned out pretty good.   The corn tortillas dissolve which adds for a fun texture and it has a nice flavor overall.  If you don't want it thick like we had it I would recommend waiting to put the tortilla strips and black beans in until the final half hour of cooking.  I'll probably make this again.  That's why I'm blogging about it.  I don't usually remember what I did when I go to try to make it the next time which is the problem with getting creative in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment